Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I'm a Jelly Donut! (Finale!) (Berlin Day 2)

Well, as I was saying, I went up onto the observation deck of the Fernsehturm tower, "aka Television tower", which spanned all the way around the tower, a full 360 degrees. Well... as you might have guessed, I took pictures. :-) From 72 to 115 matter of fact. I tried to take pictures of the descriptions as well, but they turned out a bit fuzzy. Well, I'm going to put them into the photobucket anyway. Enjoy the sights! :-)

Now after getting done with that, I head back down snap off a picture of another "Friendly Bear" and started walking back to the hotel (it was a LONG trek, but worth it). Well, I snapped off a picture of the statue outside of the St. Mary's Church, and I figured, oh what the hell, I'm only in Berlin for a short time, and Churchs tend to be really beautiful inside... I went inside one. Now, I know what you're thinking... Did it burn down? Lots of screaming people? Few hundred fire trucks? Ha Ha, yeah sure, right... No, none of that. But I snapped off some shots from 118 to 129. Snapped off another picture as to how popular Neptune's fountain got when it got hotter, can't see the naked children playing in the water, guess they were on the other side when I snapped off the picture.

Well, snapped off a picture of the local map as I walked on down, and came up to the Berliner Dom. So I figured if I was in one, another couldn't hurt. Snapped off pictures 132 and 133, of the Berliner Dom's side door and itself. Well, come to find out that I got there at the exact moment that it was closing up. Bummer. :-/ Oh well, I snapped off a few pictures of the exterior, pictures 135 to 141. Then I continued my walk towards Brandenburger Tor. As I was crossing a bridge, leaving Museum Island, I saw these statues that were placed on both sides of the bridge. Well, after changing the batteries of my camera, I snapped off the photos 142 to 146. Well, as we can see, there's another ad for cars (#147). But I started coming up to the Zeughaus, and I started snapping off some more photos. But once again, it was closed. :-/ (#148 - 150) Snapped off a couple more shots as I continued walking down the street. You can see them from #152 - 155. Well, I get back to the famous square again (you know the one with the book burning), and snap off a few more pictures. (#156 - 163) Well, I cross the street to take a close look at another one of Humboldt's Buildings, and as you can see they are having a book sale. #164 - #168 Took a couple of pictures of the names of who belongs on the statues, just in case you were wondering. :-)

Well, now I started coming into a business section of Berlin (right before Brandenburger Tor) and starting snapping off a few pictures, like Napoleon, a Ferrari store (Ferrari included), more construction, and a Friendly bear with a little more artistic "flavor". :-/ Saw police on #175... wondering why they blocked off the street... something to do with the fashion show? Saw what I could only assume was the Russian Embassy in #176 & 177. Look folks, MORE construction! (#178) Well, I finally came up to the Pariser Platz, which I believe is the name of the square in question, and started taking snap shots of what I could. Got a good shot of the Statue on 183. Took some snap shots of some of the carving inside the gate on 184 & 185. And finished off my stay at the Gate with 186 - 188. Well, I came up to Francesco Petrarca's statue, as he was shouting towards the Gate. Not sure why, but I'll research him when I can, but for now there you go with 189 and 190.

Well, as I was walking down Strasse des 17.Juni (still not sure why its called that), I saw basically #191, and thought, oh yeah, the Reichstag! Haven't been inside yet. :-) So I start snapping off some photos, sorry folks, the sun started coming down, so not the best photos in the world, but you take what you can get. :-) So 191 to 214 includes photos inside and out. I figured I'd also snap off a few of myself as well. Damn sun was in my eyes for a couple. :-) It was pretty amazing. The glass dome that you could go up in had the mirrored structure that you can see on 204 & 205, and the walkway was in a Helix fashion. One way to go up, and another to go down. :-) If you notice on #204, there are people looking at pictures that circle the mirrored structure. These pictures correspond with a history of the Reichstag as well. Didn't want to bore you with the history lesson, so I didn't take any pictures. :-)

Well, after having dinner, (#215) I continued my walk, and came back to the Soviet Honorary Memorial, so I figured I'd get a closer look. So I took a few pictures, 216-239. Got off a couple of pictures of the history of the Memorial, but there were fewer explainations there than the Reichstag. :-) Kind of hard to read, but I guess if you want to get a more detailed version, a trip to Berlin might be in order. :-)

Well, I get back to the Golden Goddess to find out that it had already closed for the day, so I went ahead and snapped off a few pictures of the outside. 240-251.

Well, after that it got too dark for anything else, and well, there wasn't much more between the Goddess and my hotel. So I just went back to the hotel. Besides, my feet hurt, I was tired, sunburned, and REALLY thirsty! Raided the mini bar to throw off the thirst. I could have stop along the way, but I was just too tired to think at that point. So I went to bed afterwards, and woke up to Day 3. Wish I could redo Day 3, but oh well... here we go!

No comments: